EU-Friends.eu - BG, BiH, ESP, DE, PL
Patronage of the project took
Our Sponsors for new project
The project was implemented within the EUROPEANS FOR PEACE programme with support from the Foundation Remembrance, Responsibility and Future (EVZ). The opinions expressed by the authors are not necessarily those of the Foundation EVZ. The author is solely responsible for the content.

Facebook (:
Our meetings
Login
Username

Password



Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Our Towns (4) -> Toru??

torun

Introduction Toru?? is one of the most beautiful cities of Poland. Picturesquely located on the both banks of the Vistula River, at a site of intersection of ancient trade routes, it has been propagating its traditional economy and openness to the world for nearly 800 years. The gothic buildings of Toru??'s Old Town, which won the designation of World Heritage Site from UNESCO in 1997, present proof of Toru??'s centuries-old economic, cultural and intellectual ties with the leading cities of Europe associated in the Hanseatic League.

 


Nicolaus Copernicus Monument The monument of Nicolaus Copernicus stands in the Old Marketplace, in front of the Town Hall. It was created in 1853 by a sculptor from Berlin, Fryderyk Tieck. The monument is cast in bronze and represents Copernicus clad in professor’s robe holding an armillary sphere in his left hand. There is an inscription in Latin engraved on the granite plinth: "Nicolaus Copernicus, a citizen of Toru??, moved the earth and halted the Sun and the sky".


Copernicus House Location: Kopernika street 15/17 (formerly saint Ann street). The two houses number 15 and 17 still hide the secret of the birth of the great citizen of Toru??, Nicolaus Copernicus. Probably, Copernicus was born in the large house no. 15, built in the turn of XIV/XV centuries. Nicolaus Copernicus was born in Toru?? on 19 February 1473. Nowadays, in both houses a division of the District Museum is situated under the name of "Museum of Copernicus House".


Sailors Gate One of the Toru?? Old Town gates facing the Vistula River bank, closes a street of the same name. It was built in mid XIV century and looked like other riverside gates. It finally lost its defensive value after the city was conquered by the Swedes in 1703 during the northern war. A prison was localised in the gate in XVIII century. In XIX century new storeys were added and the gate became an apartment building.



Monastery Gate One of the eight gates which guarded the entrance to the Old Town in the Middle Ages. It was erected in the first half of XIV century. It is a broad gate of the Flanders type with a retractable grate placed in a pointed arch niche, behind which an orifice called a “gruel hole” is situated. The opening was used to attack the storming enemy, who managed to break through the grate. Behind the “gruel hole” the main gate was placed. In XIX century, after rebuilding and elevating, the gate became an apartment building.


A House under the Star One of the most beautiful appartment houses in Toru??. It was erected in the Middle Ages. In late XVII century it was rebuilt in baroque style. The facade of the house is richly decorated with stucco arabesque motifs. An eight-pointed star, after which the house is named, was placed on its top. A splendid oak spiral staircase with a statue of a Roman Goddess and a lion holding a shield with the rebuilding date of 1697 can be found in the building. Nowadays a museum has been arranged in the house. It is the first Polish Museum of Far East Art.


Artus Hall Centre for Culture Is located in an impressive neo-Renaissance building from 1891. Here the Symphony Orchestra of Toru?? has its seat. The ground floor houses the stylish Artus Café, a venue for benefit concerts and cabaret shows. The Small and the Big Hall are used for concerts, exhibitions, meetings with writers and conferences. here representatives of the Municipal Authorities of Toru?? were given an official act of nomination of the Medieval Town of Toru?? for a UNESCO World Cultural and Natural site in 1997.


The Town Hall Gothic building placed on Old Market. Built by master Andrzej in 1391-99. In 1602-05 the town hall was completely reconstructed. Reconstruction lasted several years and the present shape of the Town Hall is mainly the effect of work carried out in the first half of the XVIII century. Tower emerged in 1274 from her top it is possible to see beautiful panorame of Toru?? After the Second World War a District Museum that functions to the present day was opened in the Town Hall (presently seat of regional museum).


Holy Spirit church Was built in XVIII century and at first was an evangelist church. Since 1945 it belongs to the jesuit order, and is also referred to as the academic church. It was built in 1756 without the tower after the plan by architect Efrain Schroger. The tower (64 m high) was added in 1897-1899. The interior is of the three aisle hall type. In 1989 the church was consumed by fire that destroyed ornamented XVII century organs.


The leaning tower It was built in the XIV century as a vertical, 15 meter tower merged into the system of town walls and it had to attend defensive function. In XVIII century the tower became a prison for women. In XIX century it was rebuilt and functioned as a smithy and a gunsmith’s lodgings. In the second half of the XX century, it became solely an apartment building. Nowadays its interiors contain a caffee and a souvenir shop. The tower is now one of the most characteristic sites in the Old Town.


Rafter's Monument Rafter’s Monument is located in the western part of the Old Town Marketplace. It was created in 1914 by a German sculptor, Georg Wolf. It was founded by wealthy citizens of Toru??. The sculpture cast in bronze rests on a sandstone plinth. A well with 8 frogs sitting on its brim was also made of sandstone. The monument refers to a legend, which tells of a rafter who, with his beautiful fiddle playing, enchanted frogs residing in the town and led them outside the town walls into the suburbs of Toru??.


Wilam Horzyca Theatre s the biggest and the finest theatre in Toru??. Secessional building, finished in 1904 by viennese architecs: F.Felnera i H.Helmera. In front of the theatre stand two muses, which are work of berlin sculptor – E.Hertera. The Wilam Horzyca Theatre gives several premieres every year. The Horzyca permanent company of actors, carefully formed for many years, guarantees top-quality productions. Their performances successfully participate in many national and international festivals.


Bridge Gate Originally called the Transit gate or the Ferry gate. It owes its name to the crossing on the Vistula River by which it was situated. The gate was built in 1432 by Hans Gotland (the builder of the tower by the old town church). It is unique among towers, as it has a battlement and rounded shape for protection from artillery fire. Apart from defensive functions, it was used mainly for transport and control purposes. Metal plates which mark the highest level of water in the Vistula River from the XVI to the XIX century are still mounted on the gate.


Saint Jacob Church Saint Jacob church is one of the biggest and most beautiful gothic churches in Poland. It was built in XIV century and was a municipal church for the New Town of Toru??. Its building started in 1309 and finished in 1350. Its basilica construction is unique among Toru??’s gothic churches. This church is decorated with numerous pinnacles, blind windows and glazed bricks. The tower is 49 m high, and its double saddle roof comes from the second half of the XV century.


Saint Johns' Cathedral The building of the church started shortly after translocation of the city to its present location (1233-1236). Its dimensions reached over 56 m in length, and the height of the interior exceeded 27 m. In 1406 an unknown tower collapsed and a second tower was built to the height of 52 m. A massive 7 tonne bell was hung in the tower. The bell was cast in Toru?? in 1500 and was named “Tuba Dei" ie. "God’s Trumpet", it is one of the biggest bells in Poland – its diameter is 2.17 m. The interior is decorated mainly in baroque style.


Saint Mary church Gothic church built in 1351. Inside the church vaulting of presbytery is decorated stars. There is also baroque bow introducing crucifixion. The wooden stallses and empora come from the franciscan period and the organs, pulpit and most of the epitaphs hung on the church walls come from the lutheran period (1577-1774 On the left, in the wall at the main altar, a place of burial of princess Anna Wazówna, sister of the king of Poland, Zygmunt III Waza can be found. Her mausoleum comes from 1636.